STATUS: EXEMPT – FULL TIME
REPORTS TO: ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, SHELTER
The Residential Manager position is essential to the operations of the Congregate Shelter program. The Residential Manager must be able to grasp Hildebrand’s vision and implement with passion; and must have a commitment to meeting the needs of homeless families in innovative ways. The Residential Manager leads efforts to make Hildebrand Congregate Shelters a nurturing and welcoming environment and one that assists families in leaving the Hildebrand better than when they came.
The Residential Manager ensures the overall safety, security and well-being of the families in the congregate residence, provides case management to residents, supervises residential staff and coordinates the required 24/7 staff coverage at each site. The Residential Manager ensures that all residential activities are documented and communicated as required by contract, agency policy and procedure. In conjunction with the Associate Director, Shelter, the Residential Manager is responsible for creating and implementing programming that meets the needs of children and families living in shelter. The Residential Manager represents Hildebrand and is expected to model and act as an ambassador for Hildebrand.
- Demonstrate leadership by promoting a positive working environment with transparent communication, inclusive planning and shared vision.
- Develop and implement written procedures to provide for the smooth running of the site’s day to day operations, the maintenance of the residence and equipment, and work with residential staff and case Supervisors to ensure that the needs of the families are met.
- Review all incident reports and client violations and identify opportunities and make recommendations to improve services and promote client success.
- Participate in meetings, workshops and trainings as assigned and participate in activities designed to increase skill in related areas.
- Attendance at staff meetings, regular case review meetings, specialized training as offered and other related meetings and seminars.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Supervision & Program Oversight
- Interview, hire, train and supervise all residential staff members.
- Responsible for orientation for new staff and the job training for all staff through coaching, proactive communication, group and individual supervision.
- Create weekly site work schedules and arrange for site coverage of relief staff; responsible for building an extensive relief pool.
- Review, approve and submit accurate weekly time sheets in accordance with Hildebrand policies and procedures.
- Create an infrastructure within the Congregate Program that promotes effective 24-hour program management.
- Oversee the congregate program staff’s activities to ensure compliance with policies, procedures, statutory & regulatory requirements of Hildebrand and its funders.
- Facilitate regular supervision sessions with the goal of assisting each Lead House Manager and House Manager to develop best practices in an effective, culturally competent manner.
- Participate in the implementation of a core curriculum of in-service training programs designed to meet program goals and to maintain and improve staff skill and performance.
- Monitor Residential Staff performance and provide support to the employee’s evaluation and development through the agency’s performance management program.
- Ensures room turnover and client placement occurs in a timely and appropriate manner through communication and inventory control of house supplies needed in the daily move in and exit process.
- Conduct the initial placement and intake interview of referred families. Gather all necessary pre-placement follow-up to include documentation.
- Review all pertinent program documents with families; thoroughly explain program expectations and all related rules and requirements. Provide a mechanism for translation as needed to ensure the family’s understanding and willingness to comply.
- Assess immediate needs and provide an orientation to the facility and/or neighborhood as applicable.
- Evaluate the family’s needs and strengths through interviews and when necessary consult with other providers and professionals.
- Provide intensive housing case management services to assigned families by conducting face to face meetings a minimum of one (1) time per week.
- Conduct room inspections each month.
- Maintain up to date case records for each family including but not limited to weekly progress notes, summaries, correspondence, letters and other appropriate materials.
- Work with the family to develop an individualized family self-sufficiency plan (SSP) which includes aggressive housing search tasks, the family’s self-sufficiency plan, and referrals to services designed to remove barriers to permanent housing and support. Advocate for or assist the client in obtaining such services.
- Provide basic intervention and client/family counseling as required; provide crisis intervention to include responding to emergency calls; report instances of neglect or abuse to the appropriate authorities; utilize appropriate protocols and procedures for residents who may display behavior that is aggressive, combative or hostile, and/or refuse to follow established program protocols and policies.
- In conjunction with the Facilities Team, act as quality control supervisor in the operations of the facility, its workforce and residents to guarantee the basic needs of the families while ensuring the highest provision of service and safety.
- Coordinate with facilities and administrative staff to ensure the site’s inventory of supplies is adequately stocked and maintenance-related issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- Ensure that facilities staff is informed of maintenance-related issues by generating site specific work orders and providing follow up to facilities as needed.
- BA/BS Degree in Human Services, Social Work, Nonprofit Management or related field;
- A general working knowledge of local Homeless Service system;
- Demonstrated ability to provide Case Management/Clinical support to the Homeless;
- Demonstrated ability to supervise, including planning and assigning work according to the nature of the job to be accomplished and available resources;
- Experience with Congregate/Residential Program Operations;
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate and determine subordinates’ training needs;
- Demonstrated ability to motivate staff to work effectively ;
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to situations to meet emergency or changing program requirements;
- Experience in conflict resolution;
- Experience determining the need for disciplinary action and either recommending or initiating disciplinary action;
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and as a part of a team;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to work with commonly used computer software such as Microsoft Office software;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate records;
- Demonstrated ability to gather information by examining records and documents and by questioning individuals;
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and draw conclusions and make appropriate recommendations;
- Demonstrated ability to write concisely, to express thoughts clearly and to develop ideas in logical sequence;
- Demonstrated ability to follow written and oral instructions;
- Demonstrated ability to give written and oral instructions in a precise, understandable manner;
- Proven ability to work with persons from various cultures and socio-economic backgrounds;
- Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion and judgment in handling confidential information;
- Must be compassionate and patient and continually exhibit a commitment to helping homeless families help themselves
- Masters degree in Social Work, Human Services or related field
- Proficiency in Spanish or Haitian Creole
This is a full-time exempt position requiring 40 hours per week and on-call responsibilities (every 6-8 weeks).
As with all Hildebrand staff positions, a CORI check is required.
As with all Hildebrand staff positions, there is a 90-Day evaluation period.
A competitive salary and benefits are offered.